The stated objectives and goals of the Independent Bookshops Association of India are listed here:
- To be a spokesperson for its members and actively promote the role of independent bookstores in the publishing industry.
- To be a bridge between independent bookstores and other stakeholders in the book publishing and book retail industry including institutional buyers (of books) and readers.
- To foster a network of members who share resources and best practices
- To be a forum where members can voice their concerns regarding the book publishing and book retail industry.
- To assist members grow their business by facilitation and encouraging partnerships within and outside the publishing industry
- To liaise with the state and central governments as a representative of its members on topics concerning laws and policies that may directly or indirectly affect the business of its members.